Sunday, October 12, 2008

Extermicake!

Dalek CakeSometimes, blogging can influence the very traditions of our families, customs and rituals to be passed down from generation to generation. Following the success of my sister's Dalek cake which she made for my mother's birthday last year - inspired by a post by Lady Bracknell where Jess commented, linking to the Dalek Cake pool on Flickr - may I present my own attempt for her birthday this year.

Two years on the trot, we'll be doing this forever now. Probably long after my mother is gone, long after I am gone and maybe even after people have forgotten what the heck a Dalek was, the family Goldfish will be making Dalek Cakes at this time of year.

I seem to be cursed with technology just now and although I took some lovely pictures of my mother with her birthday cake, this was the only one that came off the camera. But you get the general impression. My Mum said it looked like a cat. Charming.

9 comments:

Jess said...

It looks nothing at all like a cat, and everything like Chocolately Dalek Doom. Hooray! :D

Optistatic said...

Aarrgghhh!!! Keep it away from me!

It looks like the best sort of dalek, actually, and I would only be moderately scared of it (gluten intolerant). That is such an excellent tradition!

Rachael said...

Great cake! You've got to watch out for these family cake traditions. Some years ago I made a cake fell instead of rising - in an unusual fit of creativity I produced a 'swamp cake' - complete with crocodiles, severed feet, jelly snakes etc. A huge hit with all concerned and I've had to make about six since, for various people!

Mary said...

It might look like a dalek, it might look like a cat (don't see that myself), it might look like any number of things, but what it looks most like, is a very chocolatey cake.

WIN.

Anonymous said...

I want one of them for my birthday. Sorry, I mean I want one of them for my kids birthday. Yes, that's what I meant. For my kids. Not for me at all.

It looks fantastic. And I - er - my kids want one.

Cusp said...

Oh I like that. Love the way it leans back as if it's about to pounce. Are those 'Minstrels' round the body ? Hope they are and can you pass one over here ?
Yum !

I don't suppose the camera failed to work properly because it had cake all over it ;0)

Katie said...

That is. The best thing. I have ever seen. Ever.

spacedlaw said...

Cute. How could these things ever been thought of as evil? And chocolate buttons too!
(Hi. Got in via Jess')

Optistatic said...

Are they Minstrels? I thought they were marshmallow teacakes! Obviously I have a whole different scale going on in my head...